St. John’s has received permission from Bishop DeDe Duncan-Probe to have limited in-person gatherings, including Eucharist, with appropriate safety precautions. We will continue to offer our regular online services as well.
In-Person Services this Fall
We will continue to hold small, in-person, outdoor gatherings for the Eucharist through September, to give everyone the opportunity to have the sacrament at least once in this upcoming month. As the colleges reconvene and schools open, the local infection rate may require us to close again, so this plan is subject to change.
For the month of September there will be Eucharist Wednesday evenings at 6pm in the front yard of St. John’s.
Space is strictly limited by the terms of the Covenant for Regathering, so let us know you’re coming by pre-registering at the SignupGenius site. You can also call the church office or email (firstname.lastname@example.org) and ask to be registered.
These will be cancelled in the case of inclement weather. You should be notified if we have to cancel, using the phone or email that you provide when you pre-register.
The services will last about 30 minutes, so you should bring a camp chair if you need one. If you are able to bring extra chairs, they’d be welcome. We’ll have disinfectant spray available for them
We will be following all guidelines set forth in Steps on the Journey to Gathering Anew, the most important of which are:
Diocesan Guidelines for Gatherings
- For outdoor services we are limited to the number of people who can be safely spaced 6 feet apart (by household group), to a maximum of 25 people (including clergy, readers, greeters and tech support). For the church yard, we’ll need to limit to 15.
- Even outdoors, we must maintain 6-foot distancing between household groups, and avoid physical contact. This means we will stay in place during the Peace and greet each other safely at a distance.
- Everyone must wear a mask over their nose and mouth at all times.
- We won’t be singing or chanting.
- Communion will be celebrated with bread only. Communicants will receive the Host and return to their place before removing masks to consume the Host.
- In-person social gatherings following services, such as coffee hour or meals, are not allowed at this time.